Personal Safety and Social Reponsibility
South West Maritime Academy
STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR) gives basic induction training in safety procedures and accident prevention and familiarises novice seafarers with employment and working conditions aboard. It is a classroom based course.
The PSSR course covers:
- Complying with emergency procedures
- Observing safe working practices
- Understanding orders and being understood in relation to shipboard duties
- Contributing to effective human relationships on board ship
- Types of emergency which may occur, such as collision, fire foundering
- Knowledge of shipboard contingency plans for responses to emergencies
- The effect of operational or accidental pollution of the marine environment
- Basic environmental protection procedures
- Importance of maintaining good human working relationships aboard ship
- Social responsibilities; employment conditions; individual rights and obligations; dangers of drug and alcohol abuse
Course certification: Upon successful completion you will receive a certificate in STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities approved by the Maritime Coastguard Agency as laid down in STCW 95 Regulation VI/1 paragraph 2.1.4 of Section A-VI/1 of the STCW Code.