Cyber Security Strategy for Vessels
Virtual Training Centre Limited
About the Online Cyber Security Strategy for Ships Course:
The ‘Cyber Security Strategy for Ships' course examines the Cyber Security threats that exist, both generally and specifically within the maritime environment. The course examines the weaknesses that there may be in ship IT and OT systems, and how they may be exploited - and then goes on to look at the measures that can be taken to mitigate and defend against these types of threats.
The maritime sector is an important part of the global economy, and as the complexity and connectivity of vessels increase, it has become vital to ensure their security and resilience. Whether carrying cargo, passengers or vehicles, ships are becoming more dependent on the use of digital and communications technologies throughout their operational lifespans. The disruption of ship systems may lead to unfavourable outcomes. For example:
- Disruptions as a direct result of the ship no longer functioning or sailing as intended.
- Permitting criminal activity, including acts of kidnap, maritime piracy, theft of cargo, fraud and the associated issues of ransomware.
- Physical harm to the ship's systems, its crew, personnel or cargo, and in the worst-case scenario this could also result in risk to life and/or the loss of the ship itself.
- Loss of sensitive information - for example personal or commercial data.
These scenarios may occur at an individual ship or even at fleet level, the latter of which is most likely to severely disrupt fleet operations.
Aims of the Course:
This course is designed to provide the user, who is ideally at a management level and above, a firm grounding in Maritime Cyber Security issues, and the knowledge to take this subject further. The maritime sector is an important part of the global economy, and as the complexity and connectivity of vessels increase, it has become vital to ensure their security and resilience. Whether carrying cargo, passengers or vehicles, ships are becoming more dependent on the use of digital and communications technologies throughout their operational lifespans. This course sets out practicable best-practice guidance on areas such as:
- Developing a Cyber Security Assessment and Plan.
- Designing mitigation measures that are most appropriate.
- Putting in place the correct structures, roles, responsibilities and processes.
- The management of security incidents or breaches.
- The highlighting of key national and international standards and regulations that must be reviewed and followed.
This online course has been created to advise senior shipping personnel, responsible for the on-board security of a variety of ships' systems and will be of benefit to all those with authority for vessel security and business continuity. The course can be utilised as an intrinsic part of an organisation's overall risk management, and is intended to be used by those with accountability for protecting the ships (both when underway and when at port), crew, other personnel, cargo, cargo transport units and ship's stores from the risk of a security-related incident. This course can be studied by:
- Ships' senior officers (for example, the Captain, First Officer and Chief Engineer).
- Maritime Insurers.
- Board members of organisations with one or more vessels.
- Personnel with authority for the day-to-day operation of maritime communications systems, operational technology (OT) and information technology (IT).
This course is also suitable for persons involved in:
- Management of specific security tasks, including security breach and response to security incidents.
- Policy creation relating to staff behaviour codes.
- The design, specification, building and maintenance of ships.
- Ship and cargo insurance.
- Third party contractual arrangements.
- The specification, design, development, integration, commissioning, use and maintenance of maritime systems, including related technology and software.
- The financial and operational management of a ship or fleet.
GBP 55.00 ex. VAT
This is an e-learning course. Once you have completed your purchase you will receive details on how to access the course.